• Support for Coronavirus - how we're helping our customers See more

Long-term care planning

Funding for long-term care can be expensive, but careful forward planning can make good long-term care more affordable.


Many of us will have to face the challenge of ourselves or a loved one needing care, whether at home or in a residential care home.

Are you worried about how this care is going to be funded? If so, we can help.

Care home fees

State funding

The first thing to consider is eligibility for any State funding. Currently only those with assets of £23,250 or less in England (£24,000 in Wales), are entitled to State support and this doesn’t cover the whole cost of their care.


If there’s no eligibility for State funding then you’ll be known as a 'self-funder'. The difference between the cost of care and the income of the self-funder is referred to as 'the shortfall'. Your key concerns will probably be:

  • How do I fund the shortfall?
  • How do I ensure my care needs can be met for as long as needed?
  • How do we preserve as much of our assets as possible?

Owning property

A person’s home won’t be included in the financial assessment means-test if;

  • A spouse or partner still lives in the house;
  • A relative aged 60 or over lives in the house;
  • A disabled relative lives in the house;
  • A dependent child under 16 lives in the house.

How can the Family Building Society help?

We've partnered with Quilter Financial Advisers to help you find the most suitable way to meet the costs of care. Quilter Financial Advisers will give you advice tailored to your specific requirements, with all possible options, including costs and risks.

If you would like their advice, please contact our friendly team:

Call us on 03300 244593 Ask us to call back Email us

We receive payment from Quilter Financial Advisers where an introduction to their services leads to a transaction taking place.
Quilters in partnership

Inheritance Tax

Quilter Financial Advisers also advise on tax planning to help reduce the amount of Inheritance Tax your beneficiaries may have to pay.

Pension planning and advice

If you need pension planning advice to help you plan for your retirement, Quilter Financial Advisers may be able to help