Service update - due to planned essential maintenance our Online Service will be unavailable on Sunday 9 May from 08:30 until 17:00.
- Support for Coronavirus - how we're helping our customers See more
How does the Windfall Bond work and what are your chances of winning a prize?
How does the Windfall Bond work?
Each Windfall Bond needs an investment of £10,000, and you can have as many bonds as you like (subject to availability).
Once open, the bond pays a rate of interest linked to the Bank of England Bank Rate now and into the future.
Every month, your Windfall Bond is entered into a free prize draw. A qualifying period applies, each Windfall Bond will be eligible for the first draw in the second calendar month after being opened.
Each bond is entered into a free draw for a chance to win one of 21 monthly prizes:
- 15 prizes of £1,000
- Three prizes of £2,500
- Two prizes of £10,000
- And one prize of £50,000
For more information about the Windfall Bond please read our Product Features Leaflet.
- Every month each qualifying bond is allocated one of 15,000 unique tickets in the monthly draw and in each draw 21 tickets are chosen at random.
- Each bond has approximately a 1 in 714 chance of winning a prize in the month’s draw. You can think of this as the 21 selected tickets divided by the 15,000 tickets in each draw. That puts your chances of winning at least once in your first
twelve draws at approximately 1 in 60.
- If you hold £10,000 of Premium Bonds, the odds of winning at least a £1,000 prize in a year are one in 357^.
The monthly free draw
The Windfall Bond free draw is made on the tenth working day of each month. Bonds are eligible to be included in a draw for the first time in the second calendar month after being opened (for example, a bond opened on 1st October is first eligible for a draw in early December).
- There are 15,000 tickets entered into each monthly free draw and each qualifying bond is allocated one unique ticket.
- Until there are 15,000 qualifying Windfall Bonds allocated to tickets, there will be blank tickets to make up the ticket total to 15,000 for each draw.
- 21 tickets are drawn at random in each monthly free draw by an independent third party appointed by the Society.
- A prize is awarded for every bond allocated to a winning ticket. No prize is awarded for any of the 21 tickets drawn that are not allocated to a bond.
- This structure means that, unlike a raffle, the odds of winning stay the same and do not change based on the number of bonds participating.
We will notify winners of the monthly free draw within 10 working days of the draw taking place.
We reserve the right to change terms of the draw, the prizes available or end the monthly free draw after giving seventy calendar days’ notice, or as per clause 23 in our Windfall Bond monthly free draw Rules which are also included in the Product Features leaflet.
For a full list of the Windfall Bond monthly free draw rules please click here.
If you have any questions about the Windfall Bond, please contact our New Business Team:
^ Odds provided by NS&I, June 2019.
Product details and how to apply
Find out more information about the Windfall Bond including how to apply.
Frequently asked questions
Here you can find answers to the most common questions our members ask about the Windfall Bond.