- Our Autumn newsletter 2023 is now available. You can download it here
- View our Christmas opening hours here. For information on bank transfer processing times over the Christmas period please click here.
Mortgage payment difficulties? We may be able to help. Find out more
Stamp duty research
Our research has revealed that Stamp Duty Land Tax is suffocating the housing market. A real change is needed.
In October 2017 we carried out research, in conjunction with the London School of Economics (LSE), looking at the effects of Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) on the housing market and the wider economy, and its impact on household behaviour.
Following that, in July 2018 we undertook some further research with LSE looking at the impact of SDLT.
We believe the Government needs to urgently review and revise its approach to SDLT and re-think its housing policy. A real change is needed.
Our research reports
You can download the reports here:
- July 2021 Update. You can read our latest report into the effects of the Stamp Duty holiday here.
- A taxing question: Is Stamp Duty Land Tax suffocating the English housing market? (2017)
- A tax too far? Monitoring the impact of SDLT (July 2018)
This report is based on figures published by HMRC on 31 July 2018, shows that receipts for SDLT have fallen in Q2 2018, compared to the same quarter in 2017.
Bank of Mum and Dad research
We looked at how families approach parental help when buying a property, creating a range of guides to help both parents and adult children through every step of the journey.