- Our Autumn newsletter 2023 is now available. You can download it here
- View our Christmas opening hours here. For information on bank transfer processing times over the Christmas period please click here.
Mortgage payment difficulties? We may be able to help. Find out more
Mortgage payment difficulties
We're here to help if you are experiencing or expect to experience difficulties in paying your mortgage
Family Building Society, alongside many other UK lenders has signed up to the Government's new Mortgage Charter. For more details about the Mortgage Charter and to find out how we may be able to help please click on the link below.Mortgage Charter Information
If you are suffering from financial hardship, or expect to do so in the near future, please get in touch with us so we can try and find a solution for you. This may include rearrangement of a repayment mortgage to Interest-Only (or part repayment, part
Interest-Only), term extension or a combination of these.
Of course, it is in your interests to start making your mortgage payments if you can afford to, but if you can't, its important that you let us know as soon as possible.
Help to Stay Wales mortgage support scheme
The Help to Stay - Wales scheme is unique to Wales and is supported by Family Building Society. The scheme offers support for homeowners who are in, or facing, financial difficulty. Support is in the form of a shared equity loan. However, if your property is in Wales and you are facing financial difficulty and struggling to pay your mortgage, you should contact us in the first instance to discuss what other options may be available to you. More details of the scheme including eligibility can be found here: https://www.gov.wales/help-stay-scheme
Further support and advice
For more information on support and advice available from other organisations, you might find these websites useful:
- General government guidance and support
- If you have not yet missed payments on your bills or credit commitments but are at risk of doing so, the Money and Pensions Service have launched new find your way forward guidance with MoneyHelper. It's aimed at people who have experienced a reduction in income, are self-employed, have been worried about redundancy or job loss, or are struggling to keep on top of bill payments.
- If you're struggling to pay your bills, Citizen’s Advice and Help for Households offers some useful information
- For most people, it's a good idea to pay essential costs and priority debts before spending money on other things or non-priority debts. The Money Advice Service has a budget planner to help you work out essential costs and it has also produced a guide to
guide to help you prioritise your debts.
- The Financial Conduct Authority has produced a guide for managing financial difficulties during the rise in the cost of living
- Other places where you might find useful information at this time include Which? and Money Saving Expert
- Money and Mental Health - Practical Financial Skills to Manage Money offers practical information and useful tips on budgeting and dealing with debt
- If you are feeling stressed or worried and need help with your mental health, The Money and Mental Health Institute can direct you to help.
Do you need our help?
If you have questions about your mortgage or need our help please contact our friendly Family Service Team.
Further support and advice for landlords
Helpful information and support when engaging with tenants.