- Support for Coronavirus - how we're helping our customers See more
How our tracker saving products work
How we review and set the interest rate paid on our Market Tracker Saver account.
Please note: Our Market Tracker Saver account is currently withdrawn from sale.
Our easy access Market Tracker Saver tracks interest rates so you don't have to keep shopping around for a competitive rate.
How does the Market Tracker Saver work
- Four times a year we review the interest rate paid on the Market Tracker Saver account.
- These reviews take place in March, June, September and December each year and the changes arising apply to the account from the first day of the following month. For example, the review outcome in September is applied to the account from 1 October.
- Each review may lead to one of three outcomes for the following quarter:
- an increase in interest rate
- a reduction in interest rate
- no change.
When is the review undertaken?
The review is undertaken in the first five calendar days of the month and the review date and the result is published on our website no later than 15 calendar days before the end of the review month. Where an account holder has given us their email address, we will also send an email notification of the outcome of the quarterly reviews.
How is the interest rate calculated?
- The interest rate paid on the Market Tracker Saver account is calculated using data from Moneyfacts® as supplied on the review date.
- The interest rate paid is the average of the top 20 easy access accounts for an investment of £10,000 across the market from a list of firms we call our 'reference group'.
- You can download a copy of our 'reference group' here.
The terms of accounts included in our 'reference group' must meet the following criteria:
- Interest rate: Unconditional and independently set. This means that the interest rate offered must not be linked to other rates or indices, such as Bank of England Bank Rate, or to groups of other savings products and with no part of the interest being a time limited additional interest rate, bonus rate or otherwise on conditional terms, for example not exceeding a set number of withdrawals.
- No opening restrictions: Stand alone accounts only, by which we mean that the account terms must not require other accounts to be opened or other products purchased in order to qualify for the advertised interest rate.
- Availability: Accounts must be available to individuals resident anywhere in the UK aged 25 years or older.
- Withdrawals: Available immediately with no notice or penalty.
- Account operation: Opened and operated by post or telephone or internet.
- Affinity accounts: We exclude accounts which require membership of a third party organisation or which include a donation to such an organisation.
- Duplication: We only include one account where a company or group of companies offers accounts on similar terms across more than one brand and / or distribution channel.
The firms included in the reference group and / or the criteria for inclusion of accounts may be changed by us giving three calendar months advance notice to do so. Notification of such changes will be published alongside a quarterly review outcome on our website.
Unless we have made a clear calculation error then our determination of the interest rate at each review date will be binding upon account holders.
Market Tracker Rate reviews
Your savings are protected. All your eligible deposits with us are protected up to a total of £85,000 by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme.