- The Capital 90 (1) 1.06% AER - is now on general sale and can be applied for exclusively online. £20,000 minimum deposit. You can add funds to the account until 3pm, 26 November 2021, after this no additions will be allowed. Find out more
- Premium Saver (4) 0.65% AER - is now on general sale and can be applied for exclusively online. £10,000 minimum deposit. You can add funds to the account until 3pm, 5 November 2021, after this no additions will be allowed. Find out more
Bank of Mum and Dad research and guidesHelping loved ones onto the property ladder? Know the rules for both your own financial protection and peace of mind.
Bank of Mum and Dad
It's now quite common for young people, and particularly first time buyers, to receive a contribution from parents or other family members to help with a house purchase. With the need to provide ever increasing deposits, the Bank of Mum and Dad is now
busier than ever.
The Bank of Mum and Dad is one of the UK's biggest mortgage lenders but how does it really work?
It’s essential that parents and their children know what they are doing and what everyone's responsibilities are regarding when, how and indeed if repayments are to be made.
How to run the Bank of Mum and Dad
Building on this real world experience, this led us to produce the definitive guide on 'How to run the Bank of Mum and Dad' which shows how it works and the important things families need to consider.
Our guide covers topics such as:
- Misunderstandings and misgivings
- Taking advice
- Having more than one child
- Relationship breakdowns
- Personal circumstances and what the future holds.
Read our brochure.
Our Bank of Mum and Dad research
We carried out some research with our members, in conjunction with the London School of Economics, to look at how families approach parental help when buying a property, and their experiences during this process.
The report looks at how families make these often difficult decisions, how they providing financial assistance and the issues that arise before and during the arrangement.
Find out more about our research.
Frequently asked questions
Find answers to some of the most common asked when helping your loved ones onto the property ladder. Read our FAQs.