- Our Autumn newsletter 2023 is now available. You can download it here
- View our Christmas opening hours here. For information on bank transfer processing times over the Christmas period please click here.
Mortgage payment difficulties? We may be able to help. Find out more
Want to borrow more on your mortgage?
If you already have a Family Building Society mortgage you could borrow more against the value of your home.
As an existing Family Building Society borrower, and subject to satisfactory maintenance of your mortgage, you could be eligible to apply for additional borrowing on your current mortgage.
We have a number of mortgage products available.
Additional borrowing (also referred to as 'further advance') on your mortgage can be used to pay for home improvements, such as double glazing or a new kitchen, or it can be used in order to raise capital for another purpose, such as school fees or a new car.
The minimum loan amount that we will consider is £2,000, provided this does not take the total outstanding borrowing above our maximum Loan To Value (LTV) limit of 75% (the LTV may vary depending on the product selected).
Who can apply?
You can apply to borrow more on your mortgage provided your mortgage has been with us for at least six months and you are up to date on your repayments.
How do I apply?
- Step 1 - Start by contacting our New Business Team on 03330 140141 or by using the Additional Borrowing Call Me Back form.
They’ll go over some basic information with you including how much you would like to borrow and what for. They’ll need to know about your income and outgoings to make sure you can afford the additional borrowing and they’ll check that the additional borrowing meets our lending criteria.
- Step 2 – After our New Business Team have reviewed your circumstances, they’ll refer you to our Mortgage Advice Team who will go through your circumstances in detail and help you to choose a product. This advice is free of charge from our in-house team, or you can choose to use your own adviser (they might charge you for this).
- Step 3 – Submit your application along with any supporting documents (there is a list of what’s required on our application form) and the £125 Application Fee. We’ll assess this and if necessary, revalue your property.
- Step 4 – We’ll provide you with a Mortgage Offer for the additional borrowing. A copy of this will also be given to our in-house Legal Team who will contact you with some short forms to be completed.
- Step 5 – Once the Legal Team have carried out the necessary searches and received the forms back from you we can arrange to send you the additional borrowing monies (this is called “completion”).
Our mortgage products available for additional borrowing