Service update - due to planned essential maintenance our Online Service will be unavailable on Friday 28 January from 18:00 until Saturday 29 January 12:00.
Following the Bank of England’s decision to raise the Bank Rate by 0.15% to 0.25% in December 2021, Windfall Bond and Tracker Savings Bond rates increased by 0.15% from 1 January 2022. Tracker mortgages changed from 25 January and we have written to customers individually with revised payment details where the new rate exceeds the minimum rate (or ‘floor’) already applying to their mortgage. We will be considering our other savings and our variable mortgage rates after the Bank of England MPC meeting on 3 February. (Notice updated 19/01/22)
- Please note that the Premium Saver (5) has now been withdrawn from sale.
If you have opened an account, you may add funds until 3pm, 7 February 2022, after this no additions will be allowed.
How to protect your home
Your home is your castle so you'll want take steps to protect it. Here are some things to think about.
No one wants to think of the worst happening, but there are a few simple steps you can take to help to protect your home.
Protect against burglary
- Invest in a burglar alarm. The siren box alone can be a strong deterrent against would-be thieves.
- Always make sure your doors and windows are strong and secure, and fitted with good quality mortice locks.
- Ensure French windows are fitted with top and bottom mortice locks to stop them being opened with a simple pull.
- Do not leave spare door keys under the mat or in plant pots, and don’t leave window keys in the locks.
- Do not leave valuable items in view of windows which can let people see your valuable possessions. Always keep the curtain shut when it's dark.
- Lights deter would-be burglars so invest in motion sensitive lights or place exterior lights around your home.
Weather-proof your house
Bad weather at any time of year is increasingly common these days so don’t go through the hassle of claiming and paying a buildings insurance excess when a few simple steps could help prevent you from needing to make a claim.
By knowing how to protect yourself and your financial and sentimental possessions could save you a lot of time and heartache.
Whilst extreme storms are very rare, severe weather events are becoming more frequent and it’s an
issue homeowners need to consider.
- Check the exterior of your home for signs of wear and tear.
- If you have a flat roof that is more than 15 years old, examine it for potential leaks and weak spots as they do have a limited lifespan.
- Look out for loose roof tiles, blocked ground drains and that drainpipes and rain gulleys are clear.
- If you have trees near your home, check for any loose branches and make sure they are removed.
- Ensure loose items outside are secured or stored inside. For example garden furniture, washing lines and TV aerials.
- Know where your water, electricity and gas supply points are in your home.
- Make sure that all windows and doors are shut, and locked where possible.
- Secure your car in a garage (if possible), but at the very least park it away from any objects including trees that may fall and damage it.
- Organise where your family and any pets will be during the expected storm, to ensure everyone is safe.
- Storms can result in power cuts, so make a storm kit which includes candles, torches, necessary medication, food, water and blankets etc.
- Make sure your mobile phone has been charged and is with you.
- Store your insurance policy and emergency contact numbers in a safe accessible place.
If there is severe weather damage to your home, you must contact your insurer as soon as possible. The Association of British Insurers recommends that you contact your insurer within 24 hours. Your insurer will require evidence of the damage and receipts for emergency repairs, so it’s good to be in the know.
We've partnered with 3XD, specialists in home insurance products. Find out more about 3XD and their quality cover and competitive rates.
We receive payment from 3XD where an introduction to their services leads to a transaction
If you have any questions on what you've read, please contact our friendly team on 03300 244612.
Home and contents insurance
We understand how important your home is to you so we've partnered with 3XD, specialists in home insurance products.