'A road map to a coherent housing policy', a new report by London School of Economics, commissioned by Family Building Society, is now available. Find out moreOur latest report, 'A road map to a coherent housing policy' with forewords by Lord Heseltine and Lord Mandelson, is calling on politicians, key national and local government departments, as well as the Bank of England, to cooperate on solving the UK’s current housing crisis. You can read the full report here >
Mortgage payment difficulties? We may be able to help. Find out more
Our Intergenerational Wealth Transfer Research
How are gifts and inheritances affecting UK families?
Read about our research into how intergenerational wealth transfers are affecting UK families.
We investigated who has the ability and desire to help family and the implications for those who can’t.
Transfers of gifts and inheritances have become a major feature of UK economic life and this is set to increase in the future. These transfers have major impacts on both the gifter and the recipient in terms of how they live their lives and the opportunities available to them.
What we found out
The report provided interesting insight into the effects and behaviours intergenerational gifting is having on people and the economy, such as:
- Low interest rates and demographic changes has driven the rise in the size of wealth holdings.
- Since the 1980's wealth relative to the size of the economy has more than doubled.
- More people are planning to give an inheritance or gift to another generation than are expecting to receive one.
- The vast majority of people planning to gift or pass on inheritance own their house either though a mortgage or outright (74%) whilst only 8% of renter expect to gift or pass on inheritance.
- As it is increasingly harder for first time buyers to get on the property ladder, it comes as no surprise that gifters was to help their children / grandchildren buy their first home. 33% of people surveyed said this was the biggest reason for gifting and/or giving an inheritance.
To find out more on the research conducted, download a copy of the full report here.
You can also watch the webinar discussing the key findings of the report here.
Download the report
Research report conducted on how wealth transfers have had a major impact on how people live their lives and the opportunities available to them.
Watch the webinar
Watch the recorded webinar with Resolution Foundation and Family Building Society which discusses the key findings of the report.